Monday 2 July 2018

How to apply the GPL to your themes and plugins (and avoid getting in the shi*)


Jamie’s story Audio Player
Hi. I’m Jamie. I’m a developer and I make stuff for WordPress. I create themes and plugins for it, ranging from free releases on WordPress.org, to custom work for clients to products I sell on various marketplaces. I’m also thinking of selling my products independently from my own site. I get it that WordPress itself is licensed under the GPL and I get it that this means that at least some of what I create needs to be licensed under the GPL. Sometimes I also use other people’s GPL-licensed code in my themes and plugins and, at the moment, I’m forking a GPL-licensed plugin in the WordPress.org plugin repository to take it in a new direction. I reckon I understand the basics of the GPL but, to be honest, I’m not always clear about how to apply it to my releases and I’m not always sure whether I’m complying with it properly when using other people’s GPL-licensed code. I’m also aware that there’s a bunch of additional rules on WordPress.org that I need to comply with when I want to add a theme or plugin to the theme or plugin repository but, again, I’m not always sure that I’m
Source: https://managewp.org/articles/13847/how-to-apply-the-gpl-to-your-themes-and-plugins-and-avoid-getting-in-the-shi



source https://williechiu40.wordpress.com/2018/07/02/how-to-apply-the-gpl-to-your-themes-and-plugins-and-avoid-getting-in-the-shi-2/

No comments:

Post a Comment