Monday 13 November 2017

You Don’t Need Your Own Admin Menu Item


I logged into a client’s WordPress backend and the bottom part of the admin menu looked like this: Why are there so many menu items?!
I mean come on, the site is using 38 plugins, and there are 14 new menu items (not all shown in the screenshot). In my case, 37% of plugins have added their own entry in my menu.
Important note: I’m not hating on these plugins, in fact I some of them. They’re in the screenshot because those plugins are really being used in the site.
Sometimes It’s Inevitable
I understand that it’s inevitable in some cases.
Advanced Custom Fields and WooCommerce need their own entry in the menu for listing fields and products. Of course that’s a valid point.
Sometimes a plugin will need an area especially if it has lots of settings, like WordFence – a valid point also.
Or sometimes it’s a unique entry in the admin, like Monster Insights. It introduces analytics to the admin, so I think that should have their own entry.
Sometimes You Don’t Need a new admin menu item
In some cases though, a new menu item is unnecessary.
In one of the plugins in my screenshot above, the settings page only contained a single field.. A single
Source: https://managewp.org/articles/16588/you-don-t-need-your-own-admin-menu-item




source https://williechiu40.wordpress.com/2017/11/13/you-dont-need-your-own-admin-menu-item/

No comments:

Post a Comment