Friday 15 December 2017

Gutenberg and the Road Ahead


I have a confession to make. I really like the new Gutenberg editor for WordPress. I know, I know. Developers aren’t supposed to like massive, intrusive changes like this. As of the time of this writing, the plugin stands with 2.6 stars on the plugin repository – at least 133 of those ratings are 1-star critiques.
As a writer , though, it’s an incredibly slick interface.
As a developer, I can also see the promise behind the block structure for taking over the rest of the WordPress admin. The customizer could easily use the block structure for things like widgets and navigation and content layout. Even settings pages could be updated to leverage blocks for different sections.
Also as a developer, I can see why so many are hesitant to dive in with the new system. It still has a few rough edges, but nothing that’s impossible to polish as development moves forward. It’s also a massive deviation from the interface we’re all used to.
The Problems Ahead
Having worked both as a WordPress freelancer and with a larger WordPress agency team I admit this new editor does give me pause. Several of the systems I’ve built or worked with feature rich, custom interfaces – all built atop the
Source: https://managewp.org/articles/16825/gutenberg-and-the-road-ahead




source https://williechiu40.wordpress.com/2017/12/15/gutenberg-and-the-road-ahead/

No comments:

Post a Comment