Wednesday 28 June 2017

First Reactions to Gutenberg


A big reveal at WordCamp Europe was Gutenberg, an inline WYSIWYG editor for WordPress. While I had first seen it at WordCamp London, it was not a public project yet. As of WordCamp Europe, it is now in open beta with a plug-in available for testing. I am not involved with WordPress, though I have gotten to know some of the folks on the accessibility team (surprise), so my knowledge of what is going on behind the scenes is zero. What I have to go on is the demo plug-in, an interview with Matt Mullenweg, some hallway conversations, and nearly 20 years of experience with content management systems (including having built one that pre-dated WordPress and was in use for 15 years until I moved on from my company).
Given all this, I am wary of the justifications for the tool. Add my accessibility experience and I am wary of its successful implementation. I am going to try to quantify what is in my head and hope it is useful for me in the future and perhaps someone else today.
Feature Creep
When I first heard about Gutenberg, I asked some people at WordCamp London and later at WordCamp Europe who had requested it. Remembering that WordCamp is open source, I then re-jiggered my question and
Source: https://managewp.org/articles/15428/first-reactions-to-gutenberg




source https://williechiu40.wordpress.com/2017/06/29/first-reactions-to-gutenberg/

No comments:

Post a Comment