Saturday 29 October 2016

How I Found Myself Accused of Stealing Code from WordPress


I woke up this morning to a blast of emails and PMs from various friends, all asking what’s up with my team at Wix stealing code from WordPress. To all who don’t know me, I’m an engineer working on the official Wix mobile app. I spend my days doing mobile architecture and writing code. From time to time I also talk and tweet about this stuff.
The story starts on June 2016. At this point we have just started implementing the Wix mobile app. It wasn’t widely released yet.
The app does lots of different things, from letting you manage your Wix online store, to manage your Wix hotel reservations, to letting you edit Wix blog posts.
We needed a Rich Text component to use only in the Wix blog section of the app. The one we use on the web (which is completely unrelated to WordPress) did not have a good port for native mobile so we were looking for an alternative component.
Since we build the app entirely with React Native, at the beginning of June we went to React Europe, a conference in Paris. Automattic (the company behind WordPress) had a booth in this conference.
I’ve spoken to some of the engineers in the booth and we had fun together. They even gave me a
Source: https://managewp.org/articles/13722/how-i-found-myself-accused-of-stealing-code-from-wordpress




source https://williechiu40.wordpress.com/2016/10/29/how-i-found-myself-accused-of-stealing-code-from-wordpress/

No comments:

Post a Comment