Wednesday 19 October 2016

Pondering WordCamp speaking


Upcoming WordCamp London became the first one to break my speaking streak and reject my talk application. I took a bit of time to be miffed and mopey about that (I don’t handle rejection well, ok!?🙂, but really it was a timely reminder to review the WordCamp speaking as activity for me.
New activity
I had never quite planned to pick up delivering WordCamp talks as activity. I just ended up urged to apply the very first time. My habitual inertia (and backlog of ideas) took over from there.
After several talks I was in a bit of a haze about it. I had no excess of excitement about it, but no particular disdain either.
I think the most disorienting was the missing feedback loop. I don’t like to stick witch activities I have no affinity for. It was getting hard to have no sense of scale how my speaking is working out (or not so much).
It was strange to fill out staple post–event polls with whole pages dedicated to talks, and having never once get a tiny bit of that information about my own talks provided.
Cost to benefit
Last year the conversation about paying speakers and/or compensating their expenses had briefly flared in WordPress context. Turned out it wasn’t
Source: https://managewp.org/articles/13668/pondering-wordcamp-speaking




source https://williechiu40.wordpress.com/2016/10/19/pondering-wordcamp-speaking/

No comments:

Post a Comment